Make your tacos healthier with vegetarian taco lettuce wraps. They are packed with flavor and easy to make.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- olive or avocado oil
- bib or romaine lettuce
- fresh garlic or garlic powder
- onion or onion powder
- cooked quinoa
- black beans (canned or cooked)
- fresh cilantro
- tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- spices: chili powder, sea salt, ground cumin, oregano
- toppings such as: avocados, copped onions, tomatoes, olives, salsa
Total estimated time to make this recipe: 30 to 40 minutes
Lettuce wraps are a great vehicle for tacos. When the filling is wrapped in lettuce, it makes a light, fresh and flavorful taco. They are lower in carbs, and gluten free too. This is a satisfying healthy meal that everyone will love.
Vegetarian taco lettuce wraps are super easy to make and in one pan for a quick clean up. The quinoa and beans give the tacos a meaty plant based texture that’s packed with protein. Serve them topped with homemade salsa and guacamole for a real treat.
The best lettuce to use
Boston bib or romaine lettuce is the best type of lettuce to use for lettuce wraps. The leaves are pliable and thick enough to hold the taco filling.
Meal Prep Tip
Make the quinoa the night before and store it in the refrigerator overnight for an even faster dinner.
How to serve them
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate, and place a scoop of lettuce on top of each lettuce leaf. Roll up the leaf and eat it with your fingers or use a knife and fork.
- Serve the wraps in a bowl. Place 3 to 4 leaves in bowl and top with the taco filling.
Store the leftover taco filling in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Reheat in the microwave or on top of the stove.
- Quinoa can be substituted with an equal amount of brown rice
- Black beans can be replaced with an equal amount of kidney beans or white beans.
- If fresh garlic is not available, use 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder per garlic clove
- Substitute 1 tablespoon of onion powder for the onion