Slow-cooker Mediterranean chicken is made with olives and sun-dried tomatoes for a hearty meal that is so easy to make.
This recipe is going to be one of your new favorites! You will love the way that the briny olives combine with the sun-dried tomatoes which add a hint of sweetness. The end result is tender chicken that is topped with a seriously flavorful chunky sauce.
Tender and full of Mediterranean flavors, this chicken is a hearty and tasty chicken dish that's perfect for any night of the week and so is this healthy crack chicken which is also made in a crock pot.
Why you will 🤍 this recipe
- There is very little prep time to make this recipe; it takes only eight ingredients that are "dumped" into the crockpot to make this slow cooker chicken dinner.
- It's a healthy recipe; made with wholesome ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry already!
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Kalamata olives
- Chicken broth
How to make Mediterranean chicken recipe
Prepare the ingredients: Slice the olives, measure and chop the garlic, onions, and olives.
Place chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
Arrange the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, garlic, and onions on top of the chicken.
Add the oregano and pour in the broth.
Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on low for 2 ½ hours.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Boneless chicken breast is my preference for just about every chicken recipe I make. They are lean and easy to prepare.
You can substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts with boneless skinless chicken thighs, or use a combination of boneless thighs or breasts.
Sun-dried tomatoes not packed in oil are the best type to use when making slow-cooker Mediterranean chicken. If you only have oil-packed, you can use them, however, drain the oil off of them before adding them to the slow cooker.
Chicken broth adds flavor to this recipe, it can be substituted with an equal amount of white wine or you can mix half broth and half wine.
Garlic cloves can be replaced with ½ teaspoon of dried garlic powder,
Onions. You can use any type of onion in this recipe. I like to use red onion or yellow all-purpose onions.
Two teaspoons of onion powder can be substituted for fresh onions also.
Kalamata Olives add a wonderful briny flavor to this dish. If you don't like kalamata olives, you can substitute them with regular black olives or green olives such as Castel Vetrano olives.
Serve Mediterranean chicken with a side of your favorite roasted vegetables, or green beans with a helping of mashed potatoes, farro, orzo, pasta, rice, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or a hunk of crusty bread.
How to store and reheat leftovers
This is the kind of recipe that tastes even better the next day, so don't worry about having leftovers because they taste great.
Store leftover Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken in the refrigerator for up to four days in an airtight container.
Reheat leftover slow cooker chicken in the oven covered at 350 until it is heated through, or in a covered saucepan over low heat. You may need to add a little bit of water or wine to the pan so that it does not burn.
Artichokes. Stir in ½ cup of quartered artichoke hearts during the last half hour of cooking.
Mediterranean Pork Tenderloin. Substitute the chicken for a one-pound pork tenderloin.
Mediterranean Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers. Add ¼ cup of roasted red bell peppers and ¼ cup of capers along with a spritz of lemon juice and a pinch of lemon zest.
Make it Spicy. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes or ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Add Cheese. Just before serving sprinkle the chicken with a little feta cheese.
- Spray the slow cooker with a little bit of cooking spray or spread a small amount of olive oil in the crockpot to keep the chicken from sticking and easy cleanup!
- Just before serving slow-cooker Mediterranean chicken, remove the chicken pieces from the crockpot and mix together a slurry of 1 tablespoon of flour with ½ cup water. Gradually stir the slurry into the sauce in the slow cooker to thicken the sauce and serve it over the chicken.
- Sear in extra flavor by quickly browning the chicken breasts in a hot skillet on top of the stove.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken FAQs
Yes, you can! To make Mediterranean chicken in a pressure cooker, you would follow the same steps as above, up to the cooking time.
To cook it, set the Pressure cooker to high pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Slow-release the pressure, remove the chicken, thicken the sauce and serve.
Yes, you can! Set the slow cooker on a high setting and cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Check the temperature of the chicken before serving, which should be at least 165 degrees.
Yes, you can replace boneless chicken breasts with boneless chicken breasts, but you will need to increase the cooking time by 30 to 45 minutes longer. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature which should be at least 165 degrees f.
Check out these easy healthy slow cooker recipes
- Tender Slow Cooker Tri-Tip
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tostadas
- Slow-Cooked Chipotle Chicken Stew
If you like this recipe, please comment and rate it below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- ¾ cup chopped onion about 1 small to medium-sized onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- ¾ cup kalamata olives sliced in half
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons flour dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare the ingredients: Chop the onion, garlic, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.¾ cup chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes, ¾ cup kalamata olives
- Add the chicken to the slow-cooker1 pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- Top the chicken with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, garlic and onions.¾ cup chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes, ¾ cup kalamata olives
- Add the oregano and broth1 cup chicken broth, 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- Cover and cook on low for 2 ½ hours; remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and set them aside
- Mix flour and water together and whisk it into the liquid in the slow-cooker until the liquid thickens.1 ½ teaspoons flour dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and keep warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out my list of products and tools that I use all of the time in the kitchen!
Sign Up for Easy Recipes Straight in Your In-Box!
Leave a Reply