Healthy crack chicken is a cleaned-up version of traditional crack chicken. It's still creamy and packed with flavor, and it is one of the easiest dinners to make and the whole family will love it.
Traditional crack chicken has been transformed into a healthier version, and it's just as creamy and flavorful as the classic version.
What Is Crack Chicken?
Crack chicken is typically made with a ranch seasoning packet, sour cream, cream cheese, bacon, and cheddar cheese. The end result is delicious creamy shredded chicken.
Instead of the ranch seasoning packet, I use my homemade ranch seasoning blend and replaced the cream cheese with a combination of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. It's still a flavorful dinner made with simple ingredients.
What makes this recipe healthy?
- It's made with less processed dairy products than traditional crack chicken.
- This recipe is made with homemade ranch seasoning, not the ranch packet which is highly processed.
- It's perfect for meal prep and versatile too. Serve it in a salad, sandwich or with cooked vegetables for a healthy meal.
Here is what you will need to make this healthy crack chicken recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
- homemade ranch seasoning blend (chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt)
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- plain Greek yogurt
- small curd cottage cheese
- cooked bacon, crumbled
- sharp cheddar cheese
- green onions or chives
Check out ButcherBox for humanely raised high-quality meat!
- slow cooker
- cheese grater
Here is How to Make Healthy Crack Chicken
The complete list of ingredients to make this recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Prepare: Make the seasoning blend, cook the bacon and break it into crumbles. Shred the cheese.
Step 1. Prepare the chicken
Add the boneless chicken breasts into the slow cooker, and sprinkle half of the seasoning blend on top of the chicken breasts.
Step 2. Cover with cheese
Top the seasoned chicken with Greek yogurt and then the cottage cheese. Add the remaining seasoning blend and cook for 4 hours.
Step 3. Add the bacon
Once the chicken is cooked, remove the cover from the crock pot and add the cooked bacon crumbles and shredded cheese. Cover and heat until the cheese has melted.
Step 4. Shred the chicken
Use two forks to shred the chicken, and keep warm in the slow cooker until it's time to serve.
NOTE: If the chicken and cheese mixture seems dry after the chicken has been cooked stir in ¼ cup of milk, chicken broth, or water to add moisture before adding the bacon and cheddar cheese.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Chicken - I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make this recipe. Chicken breasts can be substituted with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Ranch seasoning blend - I make my own seasoning blend to make this chicken. You can also buy less processed ranch packets for your convenience.
Cottage cheese - Use small curd whole milk (4%) cottage cheese, I like Good Culture or Organic Valley brand.
For the best results, use low-fat or no-fat cottage cheese to make this recipe. Low-fat versions will not break down as easily during the cooking process.
What to serve it with
There are so many different ways to serve this healthy slow cooker crack chicken recipe. Our favorite way is with steamed brown rice, cauliflower rice or a combination of both and a side of vegetables.
It also tastes great in a sandwich, a wrap, or lettuce wraps. Spread it on tortilla chips, or top your baked potatoes with it.
Even though this delicious chicken recipe tastes great as is, here are a few suggestions to make this recipe your own creation.
Leave out the cottage cheese - If you don't like cottage cheese, it can easily be omitted. Add ¼ cup water to the slow cooker before cooking the chicken and ½ cup of milk (regular or plant-based) after the chicken has been cooked.
Change up the cheese - Instead of cheddar cheese, try using freshly grated swiss cheese, gruyere cheese, parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese.
Add-ins - Just before serving stir in ½ cup chopped kalamata olives, chopped red bell pepper, green olives or sun-dried tomatoes.
Topppers - Just before serving sprinkle on crushed tortilla chips, chopped onions or green onions.
Store leftover crack chicken in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freeze it in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator.
Reheat it on top of the stove in a covered saucepan over low heat or in the microwave.
Tips and questions
- Sprinkle the seasoning blend on top of the chicken breasts to allow it to sink into the chicken for the best flavor.
- Freeze leftover chicken in individual portions for easy meal-prep
- Use leftover homemade ranch seasoning blend to make ranch dip and salad dressing.
Yes, you can. Place a little bit of water or chicken broth into the bottom of a shallow pan or skillet. Place the chicken in the skillet, and top with seasoning blend, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees until the chicken is cooked through (about 40 minutes). Remove the cover add the bacon bits and cheddar cheese, and adjust moisture with broth, water or milk.
You Might Also Like These Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow-Cooked Chicken Tostadas
- Mediterranean Chicken in A Slow Cooker
- Slow-Cooked Chipotle Chicken Stew
- Slow-Cooked Barbecue Pulled Pork
- Slow-Cooked Orange Cranberry Chicken
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ tablespoons Ranch seasoning blend 2 tablespoons onion powder, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon dried dill, 1 tablespoon dried chives, 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup cottage cheese 4% small curd
- 2 slices cooked bacon - crumbled
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- a handful of chopped chives or green onion and dill for garnish optional
- Place the chicken breasts into the bowl of a slow cooker and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ranch season blend on top.
- Top the chicken breasts with the Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, and sprinkle the remaining half tablespoon of seasoning blend over the top.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours.
- After the cooking cycle has completed whisk the liquid ingredients together, and stir in the cheddar cheese. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken add the bacon bits, top fresh herbs and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more of our Chicken and Turkey Recipes Here!
Can this be made on stovetop? Oven?
Hi Jolanta! yes you can make it in the oven. Add all of the ingredients to a dutch oven cover it, and cook it in the oven at 350 bake for 90 minutes. You probably can also cook it on top of the stove covered and simmered for although I have not tried it.
Lisa Kerhin says
Anne, this is the best recipe for crack chicken! I made your recipe awhile back after finding that the original recipe out there has soooo much sodium and wasn't really healthy at all I hate Greek yogurt by itself but in cooking it's amazing and the extra protein from that and the cottage cheese made this a WINNER for my family. Lower sodium made me feel good about serving this. I made it in the slow cooker and the only change I made was to use turkey bacon as I have a non-pork eater in the house. Excellent recipe and it's going on rotation.
Thank you Lisa, I'm glad your family liked it!
Hi Kathleen, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this recipe. Were you using low-fat cottage cheese? That could be the reason why it was never incorporated. I updated the ingredients to include that small curd 4% fat content is the best kind to use. Thanks for your feedback!