Salsa verde chicken stromboli is super easy to make with only 6 ingredients. It’s perfect for an easy appetizer or meal.
A stromboli is an Italian stuffed bread made with pizza dough and stuffed with pizza toppings.
The great thing about strombolis is that you can stuff them with just about anything you like. So I decided to put a Tex-Mex twist on a stromboli.
I received free products from Sam’s Fresh Salsa to make this recipe, however, all opinions are my own.
Salsa verde chicken stromboli is an easy appetizer that everyone will love. Make your own pizza dough or use your favorite pre-made pizza dough.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s quick and easy!
- It’s versatile, use any combination of stuffing ingredients that you like.
- Serve it as an appetizer or dinner.
Here is What You Will Need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Ground chicken breast
Grated pepper jack cheese
Sam’s Fresh Salsa Verde
Here Is How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Stromboli
Prepare all of the ingredients: Chop the peppers and onions, shred the cheese, measure the oil and salsa verde and bring the pizza dough to room temperature.
Step 1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium to high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the bell peppers and onions and cook them for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
Step 2. Add the chicken to the pan and cook it with the peppers and onions until the chicken is cooked through which will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 3. Stir in the salsa verde and remove the mixture from the heat.
Step 4. Roll out the dough into a circle that is about 8 to 9 inches in diameter.
Step 5. Spread the chicken mixture over the top of the dough and add the cheese.
Tip! Arrange the rolled dough on top of the baking sheet so that you don’t have to transfer it to a baking sheet once it’s been rolled.
Step 6. Fold three ends of the stromboli in
Step 8. Carefully roll up the stromboli from the bottom while making sure the sides stay tucked in.
Step 9. Once the stromboli has been rolled, press the end of the dough into the stromboli to seal it up. Place it into the oven and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
Ground Chicken Breast is the easiest to use in this recipe because it cooks quickly. Shredded chicken breast or chopped leftover chicken breast will work too.
Substitutes for chicken: ground turkey breast, ground pork or lean ground beef.
Pepper jack cheese is similar to mozzarella in texture and melts nicely in this recipe.
Substitutes for pepper jack cheese: cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack cheese.
Pizza dough. I use homemade pizza dough, but you can use your favorite packaged one as well. Here is my recipe for homemade whole wheat pizza dough.
This chicken stromboli can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for one day.
The filling can also be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for two to three days. When it’s time to serve roll out the dough and assemble the stromboli and bake it.
To bake the premade stromboli, remove it from the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking it. Then place it in a preheated oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
Serve salsa verde chicken stromboli as an appetizer with as side of salsa verde and homemade guacamole.
If you are serving your chicken stromboli as a meal, serve it with a salad.
Storing and Using Leftovers
Store leftover chicken stromboli in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Reheat it in the oven at 350 unitl it’s heated through or in the microwave.
Change up your chicken stromboli and serve it as a flatbread. Roll out the dough and top the dough with the chicken filling and cheese and bake in the oven at 400.
Make it spicy, add a chopped jalapeno pepper to the filling mix for a spicier stromboli.
Change up the salsa! And use Sam’s Fresh Hot Salsa!
You Might Like These Recipes
- ½ pound ground chicken breast
- ½ cup of Sam's Salsa Verde
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper (about ½ of a pepper)
- ¼ minced onion (about ¼ of medium to large onion)
- 4 to 6 ounces of grated pepper jack cheese
- one pizza dough enough for one pizza
- Prepare all of the ingredients: chop the peppers and onions, shred the cheese, measure the oil and salsa verde and bring the dough to room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium to high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the bell peppers and onions. Cook them for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the ground chicken to the pan with the onions and peppers and cook it stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Stir in the salsa verde and remove the mixture from the heat.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle that is about 8 to 9 inches in diameter.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the dough.
- Top the chicken with the shredded cheese
- Fold three ends of the dough in and begin to roll from the bottom side that is folded in. Carefully roll the stromboli making sure the sides are tucked in.
- Press the end of the dough int the stromboli to seal it up and place the stromboli seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake the stromboli for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Ground chicken substitutes: ground turkey breast, ground pork, lean ground beef, chopped or shredded cooked chicken.
Pepper jack cheese substitutes: mozzarella, cheddar or Monterey jack cheese.
Add a chopped jalapeno for extra spice.
Change up the salsa and try tomato salsa
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 2slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 995mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 44g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
You can purchase Sam’s Fresh Salsa at ShopRite, Acme and Safeway Stores. If they are not at your local store, ask them to carry Sam’s Fresh Products!