This chicken stromboli recipe with salsa verde is a delicious twist on traditional Italian stuffed bread. This Mexican-influenced version has layers of ground chicken breast, pepper jack cheese, and salsa verde. It's perfect for an easy meal or appetizer with simple ingredients.
Chicken stromboli is an easy dinner or appetizer that everyone will love. Make your own pizza dough or use your favorite pre-made pizza dough.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's quick and easy - the most difficult step is rolling the stromboli dough.
- It's versatile, use any combination of stuffing ingredients that you like.
- Serve it as an appetizer or dinner.
Here is What You Will Need
How to make salsa verde chicken stromboli
The complete list of ingredients to make this recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Prepare all of the ingredients: Chop the peppers and onions, shred the cheese, measure the oil and salsa verde and bring the pizza dough to room temperature. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 1. Cook the veggies
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the bell peppers and onions and cook them for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
Step 2. Add the chicken
Add the chicken to the pan and cook it with the peppers and onions until the chicken is cooked through which will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 3. Add the salsa
Stir in the salsa verde and remove the mixture from the heat.
Step 4. Roll out the dough
Roll dough out into a circle that is about 8 to 9 inches in diameter and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 5. Add the filling
Spoon the chicken mixture on top of dough while leaving a 1-inch border around the edges and top with cheese.
Step 6. Start to roll it up
Pinch in the 1 inch edges on each side of the dough.
Step 7. Roll it up
Carefully roll up the stromboli from the bottom while making sure the sides stay tucked in.
Step 8. Bake
Once the stromboli has been rolled, press the end of the dough into the stromboli to seal it up with the seam side down on the pan. Place the pan into the oven and bake the stromboli for 375 for 20 minutes until it turns golden brown.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
Ground Chicken Breast - is the easiest to use in this recipe because it cooks quickly. You can also use shredded chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store.
Pepper jack cheese - is similar to mozzarella in texture and melts nicely in this recipe. Other kinds of cheese that can be used in this recipe are cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese or Monterey jack cheese.
Pizza dough - I use homemade pizza dough to make this recipe. You can use dough from your favorite pizza spot or refrigerated pizza or Italian bread dough as well. Here is my homemade whole wheat pizza dough recipe.
Make-Ahead Stromboli Instructions
This chicken stromboli recipe can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for one day.
The filling can also be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for two to three days. When it's time to serve roll out the dough and assemble the stromboli and bake it.
To bake the premade stromboli, remove it from the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking it. Then place it in a preheated oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
Storing and Using Leftovers
Store leftover chicken stromboli in the refrigerator for three to four days in an airtight container.
Reheat the stromboli in the oven at 350 degrees F until it's heated through.
Buffalo chicken stromboli - replace salsa verde with buffalo sauce, and use a combination of blue cheese crumbles and mozzarella cheese shreds.
Spicy salsa verde stromboli - add a chopped jalapeno pepper and a splash of hot sauce to the filling mix for a spicier stromboli.
Bbq chicken stromboli - Replace salsa verde with barbecue sauce and top with cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese.
Salsa verde flatbread. Roll out the dough and top the dough with the chicken filling and cheese and bake in the oven at 400.
Change up the meat. Replace the chicken with ground turkey beef or pork.
Change up the salsa and use garden salsa or any of your favorite salsas.
- Arrange the rolled dough on top of the cookie sheet so that you don't have to transfer it once it's been rolled.
- If you are using pre-cooked chicken breast, add it to the peppers and onions in the skillet when they begin to soften, and then add the salsa.
For more simple and delicious recipes like this, subscribe to our newsletter and receive a free e-book and meal suggestions straight in your inbox!
You Might Like These Recipes
If you like this recipe, please comment and rate it below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- ½ pound ground chicken breast
- ½ cup of Sam's Salsa Verde
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper about ½ of a pepper
- ¼ minced onion about ¼ of medium to large onion
- 4 to 6 ounces of grated pepper jack cheese
- one pizza dough enough for one pizza
- Prepare all of the ingredients: chop the peppers and onions, shred the cheese, measure the oil and salsa verde and bring the dough to room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium to high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the bell peppers and onions. Cook them for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the ground chicken to the pan with the onions and peppers and cook it stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Stir in the salsa verde and remove the mixture from the heat.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle that is about 8 to 9 inches in diameter.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the dough.
- Top the chicken with the shredded cheese
- Fold three ends of the dough in and begin to roll from the bottom side that is folded in. Carefully roll the stromboli making sure the sides are tucked in.
- Press the end of the dough int the stromboli to seal it up and place the stromboli seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake the stromboli for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more poultry recipes here!