Garlic herb chicken with cannellini beans is made with juicy chicken pieces marinated in a delicious garlic and herb marinade. Once marinated, the tender chicken is cooked with onions and creamy white beans for the perfect combination of textures and flavors in one pan.
Whether you're cooking for a family gathering or a casual dinner with friends, this garlic and herb chicken recipe will surely be a hit. The juicy chicken combined with the tangy marinade captures the essence of comfort and deliciousness.
Even though this Tuscan chicken is a meal by itself, add a side of a zesty arugula salad for a complete and easy dinner.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- The flavor of fresh garlic and aromatic herbs is a perfect match for bland chicken and beans.
- It's quick and easy to make; once the chicken has been marinated, this chicken dinner can be on your table in less than an hour!
- It's made in one pan, and that means easy clean-up!
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down to see ingredient notes and substitutions as well as a printable recipe card with exact measurements and complete cooking instructions.
Here is how to make garlic herb chicken with cannellini beans
Prepare the ingredients: remove the outer skin from the garlic, rinse and dry the herbs, and squeeze the lemon juice.
Just before cooking, slice the onions thin; rinse and drain the beans if you are using canned beans.
Step 1. Make the marinade
Add cloves of garlic, fresh herbs, olive oil, and lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor.
Step 2. Blend into a paste
Process the ingredients into a thin paste.
Step 3. Marinate
Cover the chicken pieces in a non-reactive dish or bowl in the marinade mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
Step 4. Cook the chicken
Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken pieces and cook undisturbed until the chicken turns golden brown (about 5 to 8 minutes).
Step 5. Add onions
Once the chicken turns golden brown on one side, flip into ver and add the onions. Reduce to medium heat and cook until the onions wilt and chicken is golden on both sides (approximately 5 minutes).
Step 6. Add beans
Stir in the beans, wine and simmer on low heat for at least 5 minutes.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Boneless chicken breasts - I recommend using either boneless chicken breasts, chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs as they cook quickly.
It's not recommended to cook chicken with the bone-in as it will take longer to cook.
Fresh herbs - You can use any combination of fresh herbs for this recipe. Our favorite combination is: rosemary, thyme, oregano, & fresh basil. I have also made this recipe with sage, rosemary, and parsley, and mint and parsley. Try experimenting with different combinations of herbs.
Onion - I like to use red onions when I make garlic herb chicken. They add a touch of color and are mid-range in onion flavor, but you can use any onion in this recipe.
Cannellini Beans - Any variety of white beans can be used in this recipe. I prefer cannellini beans because they have a meatier texture. Navy beans or great northern beans will also work.
Canned beans are my preference because of their convenience, but you can use dried beans that have been cooked.
White Wine - Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio are the best wine choices in this dish. They are mellow and fairly neutral in flavor.
Substitute white wine with low-sodium chicken broth or chicken stock for a non-alcohol version.
Serve this tender chicken recipe garnished with shredded parmesan cheese, a side of nice crusty bread, steamed broccoli, air fryer cauliflower, roasted veggies like these roasted baby turnips, green beans or simple salad.
Storing and Using Leftovers
Leftover garlic herb chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Reheat it over low heat on top of the stove, or in the microwave.
Leftover suggestions for garlic herb chicken: Stuff it into a crusty roll, on top of a bed of greens, or with sauteed greens such as spinach or kale.
Change up the meat - use boneless pork chops, or seafood such as swordfish, halibut, shrimp or scallops.
Make it Tex-Mex Chicken with beans - replace the lemon juice with lime juice, use cilantro and oregano for fresh herbs and switch to kidney or black beans.
Spicy garlic & herb chicken - Add ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes before simmering the chicken and beans.
- For nicely browned chicken, pat the chicken dry with a paper towel before cooking, and resist the temptation to touch the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Start with a hot skillet when you sear the meat which will help to develop a flavorful crust.
This recipe is made with fresh ingredients, and it is not recommended to use fresh herbs.
Yes, you can freeze leftover cooked garlic herb chicken. Allow it to cool completely then store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in a skillet or oven.
Yes, you can prepare the marinade in advance and marinate the chicken for up to 2 days. This will elevate the flavors even more! When it's time to cook, follow the recipe instructions.
Yes, you can make this recipe in a slow cooker. Follow the recipe instructions for searing the chicken and onions. Place the seared chicken and onion mixture into a crock pot, add the beans and wine. Cook for 3 to 4 hours on low heat.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE!
Whip up quick and delicious meals with the ingredients you have in your kitchen!
You might like these chicken recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- ¼ cup [olive oil]
- 4 cloves garlic rough chopped
- ⅛ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¾ to one cup combination of fresh herbs such as: oregano parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage
- At least 3 hours before serving make the marinade by placing 1 cup herbs, ¼ cup olive oil, ⅛ cup lemon juice and 4 clove garlic into a food processor or blender and blend until pureed, if the mixture is thick you can add a bit of water.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken pieces and marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator or overnight if possible.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature, and heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy pan over medium to high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the chicken pieces and cook them undisturbed until the chicken turns golden brown on one side (about 5 to 8 minutes) .
- Flip the chicken over, add the onion slices and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Next, stir in the white beans and wine, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes covered.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Sign Up for Easy Recipes Straight in Your In-Box!