Greek yogurt chicken salad with herbs is going to be your new favorite chicken salad recipe! It’s light and packed with fresh flavor.
- It’s made without mayonniase. If you aren’t a fan of mayonnaise or are looking for a healthier version of chicken salad, this recipe is for you.
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- It’s customizable, see below for recipe variations.
Here is what you will need
- Cooked diced or shredded chicken
- Greek Yogurt
- Fresh Herbs such as dill, parsely, thyme
- Fresh Lemon Juice
Estimated Time To Make This Recipe: 10 to 15 minutes (does not include time to cook chicken)
This recipe is great for using up leftover chicken, I like to use breast meat, but you can use dark meat or a combination of both if that’s your preference.
If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can quickly grill, broil or steam boneless chicken breasts for your chicken salad.
The best yogurt to use in this recipe is plain full fat or low fat Greek yogurt. It’s just the right texture to make a creamy chicken salad. Regular yogurt is thinner than Greek yogurt and will create a watery chicken salad.
You can also use Icelandic yogurt which is a little bit thicker than Greek yogurt, you might need to add a teaspoon of water or a little more lemon juice to thin it out.
Just about any combination of fresh herbs works in chicken salad. We like fresh thyme and dill. Other suggestions are; parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary and mint.
- If you like mayo, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of avocado mayo to the chicken salad
- Add 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Substitute orange juice or lime juice for the lemon juice
- Add 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- If you like fruit in your chicken salad, try adding 1/2 cup diced apples or sliced grapes
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds to add some crunch.
Serve Greek yogurt chicken salad on a plate with lettuce as a salad, or between 2 slices of bread, your favorite roll or stuff it into a pita pocket.
How to store chicken salad
Chicken salad will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in a glass food storage container. Freezing is not recommended.
You might also like these salad recipes
- Macaroni Salad with Tuna
- Deviled Egg Salad
- Spinach Pasta Salad with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Summer Cucumber Salad with Blueberries
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.