This easy falafel recipe is full of zesty and fresh flavors. It’s vegan and made in the air fryer with an oven option.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
The ingredients in this recipe are a little bit different than traditional falalfel, but the end result is just as flavorful.
- olive oil
- red or white onion
- fresh garlic
- crushed chili pepper flakes
- canned chickpeas
- fresh lemon juice
- Air Fryer or a baking pan with a cooling rack
This is not your conventional falafel recipe which is typically made with dried chickpeas soaked overnight and blended with fresh herbes and spices, then deep fried.
Instead, this recipe is made with canned and drained chickpeas and brushed with oil and cooked in the air fryer. The finished product is just as crispy and delicious as the fried version.
Falafel is usually served with tahini sauce in a pita, but we like them plain dipped in Greek yogurt or served on top of fresh greens that have been dressed in olive oil and lemon juice.
- Dried chickpeas can be used in place of canned. Here’s how: Place ¾ cup of dried chickpeas into a bowl or measuring cup. Add enough water to cover them and allow them to soak overnight.
- Fresh garlic can be replaced with ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder per clove of garlic.
- Onion can be replaced with 1 tablespoon onion powder for medium chopped onion.
- Bulgur wheat adds a bit of crunch to the falafel balls, it can be left out for a gluten free version and and replaced with ¼ cup more of chickpeas.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form the dough into balls.
- The falafel can be flattened and shaped into patties.
- Freeze the leftovers by placing the cooked falafel balls onto a baking sheet and into the freezer. Once they are frozen, remove them from the baking sheet and place them in a freezer container. Reheat them in the micorwave or oven.
You Might Also Like These Mediterranean Recipes
- Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Mediterranean Chicken Breasts in the Slow Cooker
- Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers
- Classic Hummus
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup bulgur wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus approximately 1 ½ teaspoons for brushing on falafel
- 1 medium red onion minced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed crushed red chili flakes
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ cups canned and drained chickpeas
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ cup packed cilantro, chopped roughly
- ⅛ cup packed fresh parsley, chopped roughly
- Bring the water to a boil and remove it from the heat. Pour the bulgur into the water and cover it with a lid. Allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes until it softens.
- Prepare the ingredients: chop the onions, garlic and herbs. Set them aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small pan add the onion and garlic and sautee them until they become translucent.
- Stir in the spices (1 teaspoon ground cumin, and ¼ teaspoon chili flakes) and turn the heat off.
- Place the chickpeas, onions, garlic, lemon juice and spice mixture into the bowl of a food processor along with the parsley and cilantro.
- Blend in the food processor until all of the ingredients are mixed together, the mixture will be grainy.
- Place the mixture into the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes which will make the dough easier to form into balls.
- Use an ice cream scoop to shape the dough mixture into 2 inch balls and place them on the rack of the air fryer or the cooling rack (for oven method).
- Use a pastry brush to the falalfel balls with oil.
- Set the air fryer to 400 and bake 15 minutes. For the oven bake place the cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and place into a 415 degree pre-heated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until they turn golden on the outside.
- Dried chickpeas can be used in place of canned. Here's how: Place ¾ cup of dried chickpeas into a bowl or measuring cup. Add enough water to cover them and allow them to soak overnight.
- Fresh garlic and onions can be replaced with ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder per clove of garlic. The onion can be replaced with 1 tablespoon onion powder for medium chopped onion.
- Bulgur wheat adds a bit of crunch to the falafel balls, it can be left out of the recipe and replaced with ¼ cup more of chickpeas.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3 balls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.