Tender grilled asparagus, creamy white beans, onions, and tomatoes are mixed together with a light balsamic dressing to make this grilled asparagus salad with white beans. It’s super easy to make, it’s gluten-free and vegan.
It’s asparagus season and it’s time to get your fill of fresh asparagus while you can. There are so many ways to prepare asparagus, you can roast it, grill it, steam it, shave it into salads, use it as a vehicle for dip, or make a grilled asparagus salad just like this one. It’s light, yet hearty enough for a meal, and it’s the perfect way to celebrate the spring.
This post may contain affiliate links, however, I only promote products that I use and think you will love. For more information, please see our Disclosure.
Here is What You Will Need to Make Grilled Asparagus Salad With White Beans
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 2/3 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 medium onion slice thin
- 1 cup white beans
- balsamic vinegar
- dijon mustard
- olive oil
- maple syrup
- crushed garlic
Grilled Asparagus Salad with White Bean Salad Recipe Steps
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Pre-heat the grill and cook the asparagus
- Remove the asparagus from the grill and set it aside to cool off
- If using canned beans, drain and rinse them and place them into a bowl
- Slice the onions and add them to the bowl
- Rinse and cut the tomatoes and place them into the bowl
- Cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces and add to the bowl
- Mix up the dressing ingredients and pour it over the salad
- Serve at room temperature or cold
Total Estimate Time: 20 to 30 Minutes
Tips and Variations for Serving Grilled Asparagus Salad With White Beans
- The best beans to use are canned or dried beans that have been soaked and cooked. If you use canned beans, be sure to drain, rinse and pat the beans dry before adding them to the salad ingredients.
- Grilled fresh asparagus is the best asparagus to use in this recipe. You can substitute the grilled asparagus with roasted asparagus if you don’t have access to a grill.
- Clean and trim the asparagus – rinse the asparagus under cool water for a few minutes to remove any grit. Pat them dry and snap off the bottom using your fingers. The asparagus will naturally break where the woody portion of the stem begins.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic for the dressing, you can substitute the clove of garlic with 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Meal Planning Tip – Cook a double batch of asparagus the night before and use the leftover asparagus in the salad.
- Make this salad ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to three days
- Mix and serve the salad in the same bowl. The best size to use to make this salad is a 2 quart glass bowl like this one .
- Add cheese – use a half to three quarters cup of feta, goat or mozzarella cheese chunks or add a quarter cup of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Add meat – use a half pound of chopped boneless chicken breast or shrimp.
- Change up the beans – Substitute the white beans with chickpeas or kidney beans
Grilled asparagus salad with white beans can be served as a main vegetarian course or as a side dish. Here are some suggestions of main courses to serve this salad with:
- Grilled Tuna with Strawberry Mango Salsa
- Homemade Cheesesteak on the Grill
Grilled Asparagus and White Bean Salad
Tender grilled asparagus, creamy white beans, onions, and tomatoes are mixed together with a light balsamic dressing to make this grilled asparagus salad with white beans.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus that has been cleaned and trimmed
- 3/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced quarters
- 1/2 medium onion sliced thin
- 1 cup white beans
- Brush the asparagus spears with olive oil and place them on a grill and grill over a medium flame turning frequently until they become tender – about 10 minutes
- Remove the asparagus spears from grill and allow them to cool
- Place the tomatoes, onions, and beans into a bowl
- Once asparagus is cool enough to handle slice into 1 inch slices and add it to the bowl
- Make the dressing: use a small Mason jar to mix up 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 4 tablespoons olive oil and one clove of garlic.
- Stir the dressing into the salad ingredients and serve at room temperature or cold.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Keywords: grilled asparagus, grilled asparagus salad, asparagus recipe