Homemade cilantro lime dressing is a tangy dressing that is perfect for your favorite salads and more! You are going to love how easy it is to make this delicious homemade salad dressing with just a few simple ingredients.
Homemade dressings are the best and so easy to make too! If you like this dressing, try our homemade honey balsamic dressing.
Why you will love this recipe
- It's a simple recipe made with a handful of ingredients!
- Homemade cilantro lime dressing is versatile, use it on salads or to marinate meat.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.
How to make cilantro lime dressing
Prepare the ingredients: Mince or crush the garlic, chop the cilantro
Step 1. Add the liquid ingredients
Pour the oil and fresh lime juice to a small bowl or mason jar, and add the honey.
Step 2. Add cilantro
Add the cilantro and crushed garlic to the jar.
Step 3. Shake it up
If you are using a mason jar, cover the jar and shake the dressing to mix it together, or use a whisk and a small bowl.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
The full list of fresh ingredients to make cilantro lime dressing is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients along with ideas for substitutes.
Extra-virgin olive oil is what I like to use in salad dressings, it's light in flavor, but it can be swapped with regular olive oil or avocado oil.
Honey can be swapped one for one with maple syrup, agave nectar, or brown rice syrup.
Fresh Garlic adds a fresh garlic flavor to this homemade dressing. If it's not available, you can substitute ¼ to ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
One of the many great things about making your own salad dressing is that you can adjust the ingredients to change the flavor and texture. Here are a few suggestions:
- Spicy - Stir in half of a diced jalapeno pepper to the vinaigrette.
- Creamy - Stir in a few tablespoons of regular Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, sour cream or smashed creamy avocado to make the dressing creamy.
- Cilantro lime ranch - make the creamy version above and add a ½ teaspoon or more to taste of ranch seasoning.
- Cilantro lemon dressing - swap out the lime juice with an equal amount of lemon juice.
Cilantro lime dressing also tastes great as a quick marinade for chicken breast or chicken thighs, pork, shrimp, or beef.
Try stirring it into cooked brown rice for cilantro lime rice, a pasta salad, or tossing it into potatoes before roasting or air frying them.
Cilantro also lime dressing tastes great drizzled on grilled meat.
How to store cilantro lime vinaigrette
This delicious dressing makes a small portion of dressing for one or two salads and will last in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container.
- For a smoother salad dressing, place the ingredients into a small blender or food processor to puree and blend all of the ingredients together.
- Remove the dressing from the refrigerator about 10 to 15 minutes before using it to allow the olive oil to warm up and liquefy.
For more simple and delicious recipes like this, subscribe to our newsletter and receive a free e-book and meal suggestions straight in your inbox!
You might also like these recipes
If you like this recipe, please comment and rate it below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon honey or more to taste
- Prepare the ingredients: crush or chop the garlic, chop the cilantro and squeeze the lime juice.
- Place the oil and lime juice into a small bowl or mason jar, add the garlic and honey and shake or whisk the dressing.
- Add the cilantro and mix again.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more of our salad and dressing recipes here!