Change up a classic caesar salad and use baby kale in place of romaine lettuce for a healthy kale caesar salad.
Here is what you will need to make healthy kale caesar salad
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan cheese (freshly shredded)
- Croutons (homemade or store bought)
- Salad bowl
- Cheese grater
- Garlic crusher
Many caesar salad recipes are more about the dressing than they are the greens.They are drenched in dressing made with mayonnaise and cheese.
This recipe on the other hand is a much healthier version. Avocado adds a creamy base and when it’s blended with garlic, cheese and lemon, it’s just as good as the mayo filled dressings and much better for you.
Top the salad with grilled chicken or shrimp for a full and satisfying dinner.
How to select kale for a salad
I like to make kale salads in the early spring when baby kale is in season. It’s tender and tastes so fresh. If baby kale is not available, Russian, lacinato or curly kale will work too. When selecting kale, look for small and tender leaves that are brightly colored and not wilted.
How to prepare kale
Kale is not as tender as lettuce so it’s best to cut it into small pieces when serving it raw. If you are using baby kale, roll a few leaves up and use a sharp knife to cut the kale into ribbons.
If the kale is older and not as tender remove the center stem from the leaves, then roll them up and slice into ribbons with a sharp knife.
Make ahead tips
- Make Kale caesar salad ahead of time. Prepare the kale and onions and place them into a covered bowl and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days. Top the salad with cheese and add the dressing before serving.
- Make the dressing up to an hour before serving and add it to the salad.
- To avoid soggy croutons add them just before serving the salad.
Store leftover kale caesar salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Instead of an all kale salad, use 1/2 romaine and 1/2 kale.
- Add a slice or two of cooked crumbled bacon..
- Add 3 to 4 sliced mushrooms.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard or worcestershire sauce to the dressing.
- Toss in chopped walnuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds.
- For a vegan version substitute the cheese with an equal amount of nutritional yeast.
You might also like these recipes
- Chicken Chopped Salad
- Deviled Egg Salad with Greek Yogurt
- Cucumbers and Onions with Vinegar
- Baby Arugula Salad with Pistachios
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.