Red, white and blue salad is such a festive dish! It combines juicy watermelon with sweet blueberries and tangy feta cheese.
This watermelon salad has a refreshingly sweet, tart flavor thanks to the squeeze of lemon juice which brings out all of the flavors. It’s the perfect dish to serve for any summer meal or BBQ party.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017, it’s been updated for content and photos.
This festive and colorful watermelon & blueberry salad will be perfect for your next summer bbq. Make a batch of it along with our vegetable noodle salad for a colorful bbq celebration.
Why this Recipe Works
- It’s healthy, filled with fresh and seasonal fruit.
- It is quick and easy to make with four ingredients.
Here is What You Will Need
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe, scroll down to see ingredient notes and substitutions as well as a printable recipe card with exact measurements and complete cooking instructions.
Here is How To Make Red White and Blue Salad
Get all of the ingredients ready: cut the watermelon into 1 inch pieces, chop the mint, measure and crumble the cheese, rinse and drain the blueberries.
Step 1. Place the watermelon, blueberries, mint and cheese into a bowl.
Step 2. Add the lemon juice and mix everything together.
Total estimated time to make this recipe: 20 to 30 minutes
Recipe Tips and Variations
Change up the juice. Substitute lemon juice for fresh sqeezed lime or orange juice.
Replace the feta cheese with goat cheese or blue cheese crumbles.
Make it Dairy Free. Replace the feta cheese with white fruit or vegetable such as a chopped apple, pear, jicama or cucumber.
Change up the fruit. Replace the watermelon with strawberries.
Mix up the herbs. You can use one herb such as mint, or any combination of fresh chopped herbs in this recipe. Try fresh chopped basil, or cilantro.
Storing and Using Leftovers
Store leftover red white and blue salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for three to four days.
Leftover Serving Ideas. Add leftover watermelon salad to a bowl of arugula or field greens, or on top of yogurt.
You Might Also Like These Summer Favorites
- No Mayo Potato Salad with Herbs
- Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers
- Caramelized Onion Burger
- Loaded Chopped Salad
- 1 Pint fresh blueberries
- 3 cups chopped watermelon (about one half of a small watermelon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- chop the watermelon and place it into a bowl along with the blueberries, chopped mint and cheese crumbles.
- add the lemon juice and serve.
- For a dairy-free or vegan version, replace the feta cheese with a white fruit or vegetable such as apples, jicama, or cucumber
- Substitute the lemon juice for fresh lime or orange juice
- Replace the watermelon with strawberries
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 89mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.