Red, white and blue salad is such a festive dish! It combines juicy watermelon with sweet blueberries and tangy feta cheese for a festive fruit salad.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017, it's been updated for content and photos.
Red white and blue fruit salad has a ton of amazing flavor. It's refreshingly sweet and tart thanks to the fresh berries and splash of lemon juice which brings out all of the flavors.
This fresh fruit salad is the perfect dish to serve for your fourth of July party or any of your summer potlucks. Make a batch of it along with our vegetable noodle salad for a colorful summer spread.
Why this Recipe Works
- It's a healthy fruit salad, filled with fresh berries and watermelon - the entire family will just love it!
- It is quick and easy to make with four ingredients and perfect for summer picnics.
How To Make Red White and Blue Salad
Get all of the ingredients ready: cut the watermelon into 1-inch pieces, chop the mint, measure and crumble the cheese, and rinse and drain the blueberries.
Place the watermelon, blueberries, mint, and cheese into a bowl.
Add the lemon juice and mix everything together.
The complete list of ingredients to make this flatbread pizza is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Watermelon - If you aren't going for the red white and blue look, you can substitute watermelon with an equal amount of cantaloupe or honeydew melon.
If you still want the red white and blue look, substitute the watermelon with red fruits such as strawberries, red grapes or raspberries
Feta cheese - The cheese adds a salty touch to this sweet salad. It can be replaced with an equal amount of goat cheese, gorgonzola cheese or blue cheese crumbles.
For a dairy-free version, leave the cheese out and add white fruit such as sliced banana, apple chunks, pear chunks, or dragon fruit.
Mix up the herbs. Try using a combination of fresh herbs instead of only mint. A few suggestions are basil, cilantro, or parsley.
Add Lemon or Orange Juice. Compliment the lime juice in this fruit salad and add a few splashes of lemon or orange juice to the salad.
Storing and Using Leftovers
Store this leftover delicious fruit salad in the refrigerator in a covered container for three to four days.
Leftover Serving Ideas. Add leftover watermelon salad to a bowl of arugula or field greens, or on top of yogurt.
This easy red white and blue salad is the perfect side dish for your 4th of July celebration or summer bbqs. It's full of fresh and juicy fruit and it tastes great with so many things like grilled chicken, fish, hot dogs and burgers.
Save time and look for pre-cut watermelon in the produce section of your grocery store.
For more simple and delicious easy recipes like this, subscribe to our newsletter and receive a free e-book and meal suggestions straight in your inbox!
You Might Also Like These Summer Favorites
- No Mayo Potato Salad with Herbs
- Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers
- Caramelized Onion Burger
- Loaded Chopped Salad
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 Pint fresh blueberries
- 3 cups chopped watermelon about one half of a small watermelon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- chop the watermelon and place it into a bowl along with the blueberries, chopped mint and cheese crumbles.
- add the lemon juice and serve.
- For a dairy-free or vegan version, replace the feta cheese with a white fruit or vegetable such as apples, jicama, or cucumber
- Substitute the lemon juice for fresh lime or orange juice
- Replace the watermelon with strawberries
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used