Healthy homemade potato chips made in the air fryer are amazingly crispy, delicious, and a healthier way to enjoy potato chips.
Here is what you will need to make this recipe
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Russet or yukon gold potatoes
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Sea salt
- A mandoline slicer, sharp knife or food processor to slice the potatoes
- Air Fryer or a Baking Rack
If you have a hard time saying no to potato chips, you have to try these! They are so crispy and delicious even though they are made with very little oil.
Dip your homemade chips in our caramelized onion dip for a real treat.
How to make the crispiest potato chips
- The air fryer circulates air around the potato slices which produces crispy chips. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can place the slices on a baking rack which will also allow the air to circulate around the potatoes.
- Thin sliced potatoes; use a food processor, mandoline slicer or a sharp knife to slice the potatoes.
- Soak the potatoes in water – Soaking the potatoes in cold water will realease some of the starch which also helps to prouce a crispy chip.
The skin of the potatoes can be left on, or you can take an extra step and peel them before slicing them.
After soaking the potato slices in cold water, be sure to dry them off completely on a kitchen towl or paper towel before tossing them in oil so that the oil sticks to them.
Store your potato chips in an air tight container at room temperature for two to three days.
We usually go simple with our chips and season them with a little bit of sea salt, but you can use all kinds of flavors to season your chips. Here are a few ideas to sprinkle onto your chips before baking them.
- Your favorite bbq rub
- Jerk seasoning
- Chili powder & cumin combined
- Parmesan cheese
- Nutritional yeast
- Fresh or dried herbs
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Sea salt and pepper
You Might Like These RecipesPrint
Healthy Homemade Potato Chips (Air Fryer & Oven)
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 80 chips 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound russet potatoes – about 3 potatoes
- Enough water to cover the sliced potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Clean the potatoes and slice them thin with a food processor, mandoline slicer or a very sharp knife.
- Place the potato slices into a bowl and cover them with cold water; allow them to soak for 30 minutes. This will help to remove some of the starch from the potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them well with a kitchen towel or paper towel and place them in an empty dry bowl.
- Add the oil and mix well so that all of the slices are covered in oil
- Arrange the potato slices onto the tray(s) of your air fryer.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, removing the chips as they start to turn golden. Some will cook faster than others.
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Place a baking rack on top of a cookie sheet
- Arrange the oil covered potato slices on the rack and bake them for 15 minutes
- Remove the chips as they turn golden, it could take up to 20 minutes for all of the chips to be ready
Keywords: Healthy Homemade Potato Chips, potato chips air fryer
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.