Vegan cheese sauce coats kale leaves, which are then quickly cooked in an air fryer to make these crispy air fryer kale chips. They are a tasty, healthy snack that is gluten-free, low-carb, and vegan.
These kale chips are so gooood! The “cheese” sauce gets stuck in the nooks and crannies of curly kale which gives them extra punch of flavor. Here is what you will need to make Crispy Air Fryer Kale Chips: kale, cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, tamari sauce, water and an air fryer.
If you are looking for a healthy snack, grab an air-fryer and make these kale chips. They are crispy, cheesy, slightly salty and will satisfy your craving for a crunchy snack. Some kale chips are made with just kale and oil, kind of boring right? I drench my kale in a flavorful cashew cheese to make these chips. I used to bake kale chips slowly in the oven. It would take forever, and they didn’t cook evenly. Now that I air fry them, they cook quickly, evenly and they are nice and crispy.
Kale is a super food that’s full of vitamins and minerals. The cashew cheese sauce on the chips adds protein and healthy fat for a totally guilt-free snack. Kale chips can be stored in a glass container with a loose-fitting lid to retain crispness for up for up to 3 days.
Here is How to Make Kale Chips in an Air Fryer
- Place the kale leaves into a large bowl and set aside
- Process the soaked cashews until mixture forms a thick paste
- Add the remaining ingredients except for water, and process until all ingredients are well blended
- Pour the mixture over the kale and massage into the kale leaves with your hands
- Place the kale onto air fryer trays
- Bake in the air fryer until chips begin to turn golden and crispy.
Tips & Variations For Making Air Fryer Kale Chips
- The best kind of kale to use to make kale chips is a sturdy kale such as curly kale with large leaves or lacinato kale. Tear the leaves into uniform sized pieces that are not larger than 1 1/2 to 2 inches in size.
- An easy way to remove the stems from kale is to hold on to the bottom of the stem with one hand and run your other hand up the stem which will pull the leaves off of the stem.
- When mixing the cashew cheese into the leaves be sure that the leaves are fully coated with the mixture
- Kale chips taste best when they are fresh, but you can store them in a glass container after they have completely cooled off for up to three days.
- Spice it up! Add a teaspoon or two of red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce.
- Garlic Kale Chips – Add two extra cloves of garlic or to your taste for a garlicky version.
You Might Also Like These Healthy SnacksPrint
Crispy Air Fryer Kale Chips
Kale is coated with a vegan cheese sauce and quickly cooked in an air fryer to make these air fryer kale chips.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: snack
- Method: air fry
- Cuisine: American
1 large bunch of kale, stems removed and torn into uniform sized pieces – curly kale or lacinato kale works best
1 cup cashews soaked in filtered water for at least 2 hours or overnight
2 to 3 cloves of garlic (to taste)
1 tablespoon tamari sauce
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
up to 2 tablespoons water
Place kale leaves into a large bowl and set aside
Drain water from cashews and place them in a food processor or blender
Process until mixture forms a thick paste
Add the remaining ingredients except for water, and process until all ingredients are well blended
At this point the cashew mixture will be thick and pasty – gradually add water and process until it becomes a thick creamy texture
Pour the mixture over the kale and massage into the kale leaves with your hands
Place the kale onto air fryer trays
Set temperature on air fryer to 350 and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until chips begin to turn golden and crispy.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Keywords: kale chip, kale, air fryer
Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.