Zucchini refrigerator pickles are a bit of a twist on traditional pickles. They are garlicky, a little bit spicy and taste much better than store bought pickles.
This is my second recipe for #FarmersMarketWeek, and since zucchini is in full swing, I thought I would share my Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles recipe. I just love how ridiculously easy and delicious it is to make refrigerator pickles, they take literally minutes to make. You can use just about any vegetable that you want, but I like the way the zucchini soaks up the flavors of the garlic and vinegar.
Not only do homemade pickles taste much better than store bought pickles, they are made with real wholesome ingredients. Have you ever read the ingredients list on store bought pickles? Why is there food dye in pickles anyway? The best thing about this recipe is that there is no cooking or canning involved. Just wash the zucchini, cut them up into your favorite shape – I like spears because they easily fit into the jar.
Stuff them into a Mason jar – wait for a day, and that’s it! These pickles can be stored in your refrigerator for up to three weeks, that is if they last that long!
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh dill
- 3 to 4 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ½ tablespoon peppercorns
- ½ tablespoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- filtered water to fill up the jar
- slice the zucchini into spears and place into a one pint Mason Jar
- add the remaining ingredients making sure that the spears have fully covered in the liquid
- place the secure lid on let sit for 6 to 8 hours
- turn the jar upside down and let sit for 6 to 8 hours more (I recommend placing it in the sink or in a bowl when upside down)
- serve immediately - will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Variations. . .
- cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots or asparagus also work well in this recipe
- add in a few slices of ginger for an Asian flavor or jalapeno slices for hot pickles
Here more Farmers Market Week recipes for you. . .
#FarmersMarket Wednesday Recipes
Chicken and Summer Veggie Tostadas by The Redhead Baker
Peach-Almond Mousse by Red Cottage Chronicles
Easy Creamed Corn by Feeding Big
Easy Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles by Simple and Savory
Fresh Applesauce by Palatable Pastime
Fresh Raspberry Streusel Muffins by Family Around The Table
Italian Sausage and Summer Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner by Cooking with Carlee
Lemon Curd by The Freshman Cook
Mom’s Zucchini Bread by Books n’ Cooks
Peaches & Cream Protein Smoothie by Tip Garden
Quick Pickles by Bear & Bug Eats
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Carbonara by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Roasted Eggplant with Tahini by Caroline’s Cooking
Spicy Summer Squash Refrigerator Pickles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***