Chicken is slow cooked with a unique combination of Mexican flavors and piled on top of a toasted corn tortilla.
One of the many things I love about summer is shopping at farmer’s markets. I enjoy learning about where my food comes from while I am supporting local farms and artisans. The farmer’s market season in New Jersey is just starting, and I kicked it off with a visit to a local Farm to Table Pig Roast and Market Hosted by a local business, Petrock’s Liquors. It was a fun way to welcome summer!
There was a real a pig! It was pasture raised on a local farm and all all decorated. It was absolutely delicious.
For those that weren’t feeling the pig, there was plenty of fresh and local chicken to go around too.
They also had wine glass shaped sunglasses ☺
When I shop at farmer’s markets, one of the things I like to do its is to prepare a meal using as many local ingredients as I can. Since it’s early in the growing season, produce is still a bit limited. However, I did find some really good cold brew coffee from a local company, Cheech’s Own and some absolutely amazing salsa verde. I’ve never had cold brew coffee before and I have to say after tasting it, it’s much better than regular coffee. The flavor is more robust than traditional hot coffee, and I immediately thought to pair it with chocolate, and that’s how this slow cooked chicken recipe came to be.
Most people put their slow cooker away in the summer, not me. The slow cooker in the summer is an easy hands-off way to make dinner without heating up the kitchen. This is the kind of recipe that you can make extra of and change up the way you serve it throughout the week. Think salads, tacos, burritos, burrito bowls or all by itself.Print
Slow Cooked Chicken Tostadas
Chicken Slow cooked in a mixture of coffee, chocolate, and Mexican flavors. It’s gluten free and healthy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/2 cup concentrated cold brew
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts – preferably organic or pasture raised
- 4 corn tortillas
- Suggested toppings:
- sliced avocado
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cabbage
- queso fresco
- Place the chicken, cold brew, cacao powder, orange juice, salsa, chili powder and garlic into a slow cooker
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Using two forks shred the chicken reduce heat on slow cooker to warm
- Place tortillas in a preheated oven 375 and bake until crispy – about 5 to 8 minutes
- Top tortillas with meat, and toppings of choice
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8g
- Protein: 27.8g
VARIATIONS. . .
- Substitute boneless pork (loin or shoulder) or boneless chicken thighs for the boneless chicken breasts.
- If you don’t have access to cold brew, regular coffee will work too, but the cold brew adds a really nice flavor.
MY INGREDIENT PICKS. . .
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***