Slow cooked shredded chicken is seasoned with a unique combination of Mexican flavors and piled on top of a toasted corn tortilla for a tasty twist on chicken tostadas.
Here is what you will need to make shredded chicken tostadas
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- brewed coffee (cold brew or regular brew)
- cocoa powder
- fresh squeezed orange juice
- diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- chipotle chili powder
- boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- corn tortillas
- Toppings such as: shredded lettuce, avocados, lime juice, salsa, cabbage, tomatoes, cheese
- slow cooker
Tostadas are typically made with deep fried corn tortillas that are layered with toppigs such as seasoned shredded meat, lettuce, beans, and salsa.
I changed things up a bit.
These tostadas are made with baked, not fried corn tortillas. They are layered with spicy Mexican shredded chicken that’s seasoned in a mixture of brewed coffee, dark chocolate and Mexican spices.
If you prefer a more traditional Mexican flavored chicken, try making the chicken in Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos.
Tostadas are are customizable, top them with what’s on hand and everyone will love them.
I like making this chicken because it’s made in the slow cooker which is perfect for blending all of the flavors together. Make extra and change up the way you serve it throughout the week.
Recipe Tips & Variations
The Tostada Shells
You can buy pre-made tostada shells that have been fried and ready to go. Our preference is to use organic soft corn tortillas and bake them. They are crispy and taste just as delicious as the fried version, and much better for you.
If you use canned tomatoes, the sauce will be a bit watery. You can drain the tomatoes before adding them to the slow cooker if you prefer a dryer version of shreddded chicken.
Change up the meat
Swap out the boneless chicken breasts with boneless chicken thighs or boneless pork ribs, loin or shoulder.
Make a dobule batch of the chicken and serve it throughout the week on salads,quesadillas, tacos, nachos, burrito bowls or roll it up in tortillas top with cheese and bake them in the oven.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You might also like these recipes
- Healthy Beef Tacos
- Sheet Pan Nacho Salad
- Quick and Easy Chili
- Vegetarian Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Breakfast Tacos
- Slow cooker Southwest Chicken with Corn and Black Beans
- Slow Cooked Chipotle Chicken Stew
- ½ cup brewed coffee (cold brew or regular brew)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 corn tortillas
- sliced avocado
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cabbage
- queso fresco
- Place the chicken, coffee, cacao powder, orange juice, tomatoes, chili powder and garlic into a slow cooker
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Once the chicken is cooked, use two forks shred the chicken
- Reduce the heat on the slow cooker to warm
- Place the tortillas in a preheated oven 375 and bake until crispy - about 5 to 8 minutes
- Top the tortillas with meat, and your favorite toppings
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ¼ pound of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 45g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.