Pizza with shaved Brussels sprouts and bacon – a white pizza that’s topped with fresh ricotta cheese, roasted Brussels sprouts, bacon and mozzarella cheese.
October is National Pizza Month, but as far as I’m concerned, it can be pizza month every month. Pizza is one of the few foods that I just can’t say no to. That’s why I like to make my own when the pizza craving hits so I can make it healthier and not feel so bad. We love all kinds of pizza toppings in our house, so when it’s pizza night I make a few different versions, and this pizza with Brussels sprouts and bacon is one of our favorites in the fall.
Now that the dinner crowd in my house is smaller, I’ve found that making pizza in a cast iron skillet is a great way to make a few pizzas with different toppings. The pizzas are smaller, so we are not tempted to overindulge. And I love how the crust comes out in the cast iron skillet; it’s a little bit crispy on the bottom, yet chewy on the inside. Just the way we like it! Another one of our favorites for pizza night is this Buffalo Chicken Flatbread Pizza .
This pizza is so good. The Brussels sprouts are tossed with a splash of balsamic vinegar and oil before they are added to the pizza. I partially cook the crust before adding the cheese and toppings so that it stays nice and crispy.
Pizza with Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
You are going to love this pizza, it’s savory, slightly sweet, salty, and creamy. Here’s how you make it. . .
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts sliced thin - food processor or sharp knife works best for this
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- your favorite pizza crust
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ⅛ to ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 2 to 3 slices of cooked bacon crumbled
- pre-heat Oven to 425
- roll out dough and place in a 9-inch skillet, and bake for 8 minutes
- mix 1½ teaspoons of olive oil with the Brussels sprouts and place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 8 to 10 minutes - If you have enough room in the oven you can add them while the crust is cooking
- mix together 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and 1½ teaspoons oil
- remove the Brussels sprouts from the oven and and add the oil and vinegar mixture and toss so that sprouts are covered with mixture and set aside
- spread ¼ cup ricotta over partially cooked crust
- top with garlic slices, then Brussels sprouts, bacon and mozzarella cheese
- return to oven and bake until crust begins to brown and cheese melts - approximately 8 minutes
Here are a few more pizza recipes to help you to celebrate National Pizza Month. . .
- Buffalo Chicken Naan Bread Pizza by The Freshman Cook
- Italian Beef Pizza by Cooking With Carlee
- Margherita Pizza by Making Miracles
- Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza by Everyday Eileen
- Pizza with shaved brussels sprouts and bacon by Simple and Savory
- Shrimp Prosciutto and Mushroom Pizza by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spinach, Pancetta and Fontina Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Stovetop Skillet Pizzas by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- White Pizza Mini Tarts by Take Two Tapas
- World Series Tortilla Pizza by Amy’s Cooking Adventures