Individual cups are filled with pieces of apple that are coated in cinnamon and maple syrup with a crispy crust on top. They are perfect for a holiday or any day dessert.
It’s officially fall, and the holidays are almost upon us, can you believe that? Fall also means that it’s time for apple pie! I’m not sure if this pie is really Swedish or not, but it’s my kind of pie. No dough to be rolled out, it’s just an easy to make topping that is spread over top and seeps down into the apple mixture while it bakes. It’s like apple cobbler meets apple crisp with a caramel-y topping. A single cup of deliciousness.
Swedish apple pie has always been a sure sign of fall to me. Once apples were in season, my mother would be making applesauce and apple pie. Her version wasn’t as healthy though, she used refined sugar and white flour, both of which are ingredients I NEVER use.
I changed up her traditional Swedish apple pie by making it healthy and serving it in little cups topped with date caramel. I sweetened the pies naturally with maple syrup and coconut sugar. I used almond meal instead of flour to make them gluten-free. The date caramel topping adds just enough sweetness and blends well with the apples and cinnamon. This is really is one of the easiest apple pies to make.
Swedish Apple Pie Cups With Date Caramel Sauce #SundaySupper
Easy and gluten-free Swedish Apple Pie cups are perfect for fall celebrations
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 apples peeled and cut into uniform sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- FOR TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- DATE CARAMEL:
- 8 Medjool dates pitted and soaked in water for 30 minutes or more
- up to 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon peanut butter
- Coat four small ramekins with oil or butter
- Place apple slices, cinnamon, and syrup in a bowl and mix well
- Divide the apple mixture evenly into each ramekin
- Mix up the ingredients for the topping and pour over the apples in each ramekin
- Bake for 25 minutes
- While cups are baking make the date caramel by placing the dates in a food processor and processing until dates form a ball, gradually add water to thin it
- The consistency will vary depending on the moisture in the dates, it should be spreadable.
- Once apple pie cups finished baking, allow to cool for 10 minutes, top with desired amount of date caramel and serve
Variations. . .
- This recipe is gluten-free, 1/3 cup whole wheat flour can be used in place of almond meal
- This make this recipe dairy free, substitute 1/3 cup coconut oil for butter
My Ingredient Picks for this Recipe. . .
Please note that these are affiliate links which means that if you click on one of the links and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products/ingredients that I use. Thank you for supporting Simple and Savory!
Tools Used for this Recipe. . .
Bars and Cookies
- First Frost (Rauhreif) German Apple Dessert by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Frosted Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Streusel Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- The Best Pecan Pie Bars by Life Tastes Good
- Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Clementine Cake with Cranberry Glaze by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coconut Pecan Cake with Coconut Rum Frosting by The Chef Next Door
- Coconut Syrup Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Japanese Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Moms Texas Sheet Cake by My Life Cookbook
- Rave Review Coconut Cake by Family Around The Table
- Salted Caramel Mocha Bundt Cake by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiked Chocolate Eggnog Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cheesecake by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Patch Cocktail by Wholistic Woman
- Black Bottom Oatmeal Pie by This is How I Cook
- Butterscotch Pecan Pie by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Perfect Plum Pie + Art of the Pie #Giveaway by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin Spice Mochi by Cricket’s Confections
- Purple Yam-Ube Blueberry Tart by Asian in America
- Swedish Apple Pie Cups with Date Caramel Sauce by Simple and Savory