Lean ground chicken breast, jalapeno peppers, black beans and tomatoes make up this spicy Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole.
It’s almost Cino de Mayo and that means it’s time to eat lots of Mexican food! Iin case you didn’t know, Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexico’s victory over France in the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. And now it is celebrated across the United States with good food, family, and friends. #SundaySupper is joining the celebration this week with Mexican recipes.
We don’t wait for Cinco de Mayo to eat Mexican food in our house, we eat it a lot, and this chicken and black bean casserole is one of our favorites. It can be made a day or two ahead of time and popped in the oven for a quick dinner on a busy evening.
This casserole comes together quickly too. Once the chicken and vegetables are cooked, the ingredients are layered in a casserole dish, and it’s ready for the oven or the fridge if you plan to eat it later on. Serve with some homemade guacamole and a salad for a satisfying and healthy dinner.
Here’s how to make it. . .
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus about a teaspoon to coat casserole dish
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped red pepper
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 1//2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cups canned or cooked black beans
- 8 taco sized organic corn tortillas
- 6 ounces of cheddar cheese shredded
- pre-heat oven to 350
- place the olive oil in a skillet and heat over medium. Add the chicken breast and cook until it's ¾ of the way cooked through
- add the onions, garlic, and red peppers - cook for about 5 minutes until the begin to soften
- stir in the chili powder, cumin, and jalapenos and mix well
- add the tomatoes and beans simmer on low for 5 minutes
- coat a casserole dish with oil and place 4 tortillas in a single layer in the dish
- place half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and then half of the cheese
- place 4 tortillas on top of chicken mixture and then the meat and the cheese
- bake at 350 covered for 20 minutes
cover and bake for 5 minutes more
Variations. . .
- For a vegetarian version, add a crumbled block of organic firm tofu
- Ground turkey, beef or pork can be used in place of the chicken
- If making ahead of time, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 days
Check out the list below for more than 25 more Cinco de Mayo recipes, and thank you, Shelby, from Grumpy’s Honeybunch for hosting this event!
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.