Eggplant parmesan casserole is an easier and healthier way to enjoy eggplant parmesan at home.
I love eggplant parmesan, but don’t love all of the work that goes along with it. It’s so time-consuming to make. You have to bread the eggplant, fry it, make the sauce and then bake it. Think of this casserole as the express version. It only has to be cooked once, so it cuts out all of the extra work and calories but not the flavor.
Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
All that needs to be done to make this is to place the ingredients into a large casserole dish and bake, that’s it! The key is to slice the eggplant super thin, and only one layer of eggplant which means you may need to two pans or one large one. I used a 15 X10 dish for this recipe.
Eggplant parmesan casserole can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven just before it’s time to eat. While it’s baking you can put a salad together and cook some pasta for a filling and quick dinner. Here’s how you make it….
- 1 large or two small eggplants, sliced very thin
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ⅛ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 to 3 cups of your favorite Marinara
- ½ to 1 cup mozzarella cheese - to your liking
- pre-heat oven to 375
- sprinkle sea salt over eggplant slices and set aside
- spread half of the marinara sauce over the bottom of a large baking pan
- blot the eggplant dry with a towel
- place the eggplant into the baking pan on top of the sauce slightly overlapping
- mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, and oregano together and spread over the eggplant slices.
- pour the remainder of sauce over and then sprinkle with cheese
- cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more
Today is National Italian food day!
If you love Italian food, be sure to check out the recipes below for some Italian recipe inspiration.
- Baked Ziti with Meat Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carpaccio di Tonno by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole by Palatable Pastime
- Comtesse d’Italia Cocktail by Bear and Bug Eats
- Eggplant Parmesan Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Homemade Marinara Sauce by Frugal Pantry
- Italian Cream Cake by Family Around the Table
- Italian Slab Pie by All that’s Jas
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Low Carb Lemon Chicken Piccata by Everyday Eileen
- Pasta e Fagioli by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sausage and Pepper Sheet Pan Sandwiches by Jolene’s Recipe Journal