Grilled chicken Parmesan is a lighter version of a classic dish. It’s made with grilled boneless chicken breasts, fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese for a flavorful and lighter twist on classic chicken Parmesan.
This post may contain affiliate links for more information, please see our Disclosure.
Lighter Chicken Parmesan
In the warmer months we cook lighter foods and keep the oven off as much as possible. As a result, some of our winter favorites are “summerized” like this chicken Parmesan recipe.
Grilled chicken Parmesan is fresher and lighter than the traditional comforting chicken Parmesan and equally as delicious.
The boneless chicken breasts soak in a balsamic based marinade which adds flavor and moisture. Once grilled, the chicken breasts are topped with a combination of fresh diced tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, then sprinkled with mozzarella cheese.
Grilled chicken Parmesan is a fantastic dinner idea for an outdoor get-together. It cooks quickly, and the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time.
Serve it with a salad and a side of fresh pasta.
- Bonelesss chicken breasts – The base of this dish. Slice them thin or use chicken cutlets for the best results.
- Fresh Tomatoes – Add a fresh and and sweet flavor.
- Garlic – Enhances the flavor of the entire dish because that’s what garlic does.
- Fresh basil – Fresh tomatoes and basil just go together!
- Balsamic vinegar – Adds flavor to the chicken breasts and it slightly tenderizes the meat.
- Olive oil – Helps the meat retain moisture as it is cooks and minimizes the sharp flavor of the vinegar.
- Dried Oregano – Seasons the marinade
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add the chicken
- Pre-heat the grill
- Prepare the ingredients: chop the tomatoes, garlic and basil, grate the cheese
- Place the chicken breasts onto the grill and cook them
- Top the chicken breasts with tomato mixture and cheese cook until the cheese melts
Total Estimated Time to Make this Recipe: 30 to 40 Minutes
Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe Tips and Variations
Ensure even cooking time of the chicken. The chicken breasts should be about 1/4 in size thick all around. If they are not, you can use a meat tenderizer to pound them out.
Although any type of fresh tomato will work, the best type of tomato to use is a less juicy one such as a plum tomato. Canned diced tomatoes that have been drained or a thick marinara sauce works well too.
Make it easy to grate fresh mozzarella cheese by placing it in the freezer for a few hours before grating it using a hand grater.
The easiest way to crush garlic is to use a garlic press or by placing the clove of garlic onto a cutting board and using a heavy knife, place the blade flat on top of the garlic clove and press down firmly until the garlic clove is crushed.
Change it up – brush fresh pesto sauce on the chicken instead of marinating it.