Smoky Portobello mushrooms and caramelized onions are surrounded by creamy brie in this grilled brie cheese sandwich, a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich that’s packed with goodness.
Move over plain old grilled cheese sandwich, because I have a grilled cheese sandwich that tastes sooo much better. It’s packed with smoky portobello mushrooms, sweet caramelized onions, and gooey brie cheese on sourdough bread. It’s creamy, crispy and in one word, Yum!
It’s National Grilled Cheese Month and the #SundaySupper tastemakers are sharing their favorite gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. I am not a big sandwich eater, but I have to admit, it’s really hard to turn down a grilled cheese sandwich – especially when it’s filled with all kinds of tasty ingredients. Smoked paprika adds a smoky flavor to the mushrooms which are baked until almost crispy, and a touch of balsamic adds a little more sweetness to the onions.
This sandwich can take a bit of time to make, but it’s so worth it! The caramelized onions and mushrooms can be made ahead of time while you are preparing another meal perhaps? Here is a recipe for caramelized onions. Serve this sandwich with a side salad for healthy dinner or lunch. Here’s the recipe. . .
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced thin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 slices organic sour dough bread
- 3 to 4 tablespoons caramelized onions
- 6 ounces mild brie cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with ½ tablespoon oil and place the mushroom slices on the tray leaving space between each one
- Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each slice of mushroom with olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes flip the mushrooms over and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes more - until they become brown - remove from oven and set aside
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Spread 2 ounces of brie cheese on top of two slices of bread
- top each slice with caramelized onions and mushrooms
- add 1 ounce of cheese and top with a slice of bread
- place the sandwich in a pan and grill until bread turns golden, flip over and cook until cheese becomes melted and bread is golden brown
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 802Total Fat: 56.4gSaturated Fat: 19.7gUnsaturated Fat: 33gSodium: 1048mgCarbohydrates: 48.3gFiber: 3.1gSugar: 7.2gProtein: 19.9g