Chicken piccata meatballs are a twist on a classic chicken piccata recipe. Tender meatballs made with ground chicken are tossed in a delicious piccata sauce for the best chicken meatballs ever!
This is a meal that the whole family will love and it's perfect for busy weeknights. We also like healthy crack chicken for easy dinners.
- It's a healthyd dinner! The meatballs are made with leann chicken and ar baked, not fried
- Chicken piccata meatballs are meal-prep friendly
- An easy recipe that is made with only 11 ingredients and ready in less than one hour.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe, scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.
Chicken Piccata Meatballs Recipe Ingredients
- Ground Chicken Breast
- Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- White Wine
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Medium Mixing Bowl
How to Make Chicken Piccata Meatballs
Prepare the ingredients: Mince the onions and garlic, shred the cheese, whisk the egg, squeeze the lemon juice and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 1. Mix the Meat & Seasonings
Place the ground chicken, oregano, onions, shredded cheese and half of the garlic in a medium mixing bowl and gently combine with a wooden spoon or with your hands.
Step 2. Add the Egg
Mix in a beaten egg; stir until everything is mixed together.
Step 3. Chill the Meat Mixture
Place the ground chicken mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm it up which will make it easy to roll the meatballs.
Step 4. Form the Meatballs
Use your hands or an ice cream scoop to roll the chicken mixture into 1 inch meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 5. Make the Delicious Piccata Sauce
While the meatballs are cooking, start to make the sauce by browning the garlic in a skillet over medium high heat.
Stir in the wine, broth and lemon juice and simmer over low heat.
Step 7. Take the meatballs from the oven
Once the chicken meatballs are cooked through, remove them from the oven.
Step 8. Add Meatballs to the Sauce
Add the cooked meatballs to the skillet with the sauce and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Total Estimated Time to Make This Recipe: 40 to 50 minutes (plus 30 minutes to refrigerate the chicken mixture)
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
Ground Chicken can be substituted with ground turkey, ground pork or ground beef.
Garlic Cloves can be replaced with ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder for each clove of garlic.
White Wine - can be replaced with an equal amount of chicken broth for an alcohol free version of chicken piccata meatballs.
Serve chicken piccata meatballs garnished with fresh parsley and lemon slices over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, or veggie noodles.
Round out the meal with a salad like this Kale Caesar Salad or Arugula Salad with Pistachios.
Store leftover chicken piccata meatballs in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and in the freezer for up to four months.
Thaw the meatballs in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them on top of the stove or the microwave.
These delicious chicken piccata meatballs can be easily made ahead of time, here are a few suggestions:
Get a jump start on dinner for the next night by mixing the chicken, onions, garlic and egg together; store it covered in the refrigerator overnight.
Freeze for later, make the meatballs following the instructions in the recipe, and bake them. Allow them to cool to room temperature and place them into a freezer-safe container for up to four months.
Thaw the meatballs in the refrigerator.
Reheat the meatballs in the oven or the microwave, or make the sauce and reheat them in the sauce.
- Wet hands will help to keep the meat from sticking to your hands when rolling the meatballs - rinse your hands in water just before forming the meatballs.
- For more lemon flavor, stir in a teaspoon or two of lemon zest.
- If your prefer a thicker sauce, whisk in a tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce.
You Might Like these Meatball Recipes
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup minced onions
- 4 cloves of garlic divided and chopped
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Prepare the ingredients: Mince the onions and garlic, shred the cheese, whisk the egg and squeeze the lemon juice.
- Combine the ground chicken, cheese, oregano, onions and two cloves of chopped garlic to a bowl.
- Once the ingredients are combined, add the egg and mix everything together.
- If the mixture is too soft to shape into meatballs, place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Using your hands or an ice cream scoop, form the chilled chicken mixture into meatballs that are about 1 ½ inches in size.
- Arrange the meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce. Add the oil to a skillet and cook the garlic over medium heat until it begins to soften.
- Stir in the wine and chicken broth and reduce the heat to low.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce along with the capers and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Leave a Reply