Chicken piccata meatballs are so good! Mild flavored chicken meatballs are tossed in a lemon piccata sauce for the best chicken meatballs ever! And they are gluten-free.
- The meatballs are baked, not fried
- Chicken piccata meatballs are meal-prep friendly
- A quick and easy recipe with only 11 ingredients and ready in less than one hour.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Ground Chicken (1 pound)
Minced Onions (½ cup)
Garlic ( 4 cloves, chopped and divided)
Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese (¼ cup)
Dried Oregano (½ teaspoon)
Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
Lemon Juice (2 tablespoons)
White Wine (½ cup)
Chicken Broth (½ cup)
Capers (½ cup)
How to Make Chicken Piccata Meatballs
Prepare the ingredients: Mince the onions and garlic, shred the cheese, whisk the egg, and squeeze the lemon juice and preheat the oven to 375.
Add the ground chicken, oregano, onions, shredded cheese and 2 cloves of chopped garlic to a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands.
Mix in a beaten egg.
Place the mixture in the refrigerator to firm it up.
Use your hands or an ice cream scoop to form the ground chicken into meatballs that are approximately 1 ½ inches in size, and arrange them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes.
While the meatballs are cooking start to make the sauce by browning the garlic in a skillet.
Add the wine broth and lemon juice and simmer over low heat.
Take the baked meatballs out of the oven, and add them to the pan of sauce in the skillet.
Stir in the capers and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Total Estimated Time to Make This Recipe: 40 to 50 Minutes (plus 30 minutes to refrigerate the chicken)
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
Ground Chicken – I like to use ground chicken breast, but a blend of thighs and breast ground chicken or ground turkey will work too.
Garlic Cloves can be replaced with ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder for each clove of garlic.
White Wine – can be replaced with an equal amount of chicken broth.
Tip! Whisk in up to a tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce if you prefer a thicker sauce.
Serve chicken piccata meatballs over rice, pasta or veggie noodles alongside a salad like this Kale Caesar Salad or Arugula Salad with Pistachios.
Store leftover chicken piccata meatballs in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and in the freezer for up to four months.
Thaw the meatballs in the refrigerator and reheat them in on top of the stove or the microwave.
Chicken piccata meatballs can be easily made ahead of time, here are a few suggestions:
Get a jump start on dinner for the next night by mixing the chicken, onions, garlic and egg together; store it covered in the refrigerator overnight.
Make the meatballs following the instructions in the recipe, and bake them. Allow them to cool to room temperature and place them into a freezer-safe container for up to four months.
Thaw the meatballs in the refrigerator.
Reheat the meatballs in the oven or the microwave, or make the sauce and reheat them in the sauce.
You Might Like these Meatballs Recipes
- Turkey Cranberry Meatballs
- Eggplant Meatballs
- Homemade Swedish Meatballs
- Tuscan Vegetable Soup with White Bean Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup minced onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, divided and chopped
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Prepare the ingredients: Mince the onions and garlic, shred the cheese, whisk the egg and squeeze the lemon juice.
- Combine the ground chicken, cheese, oregano, onions and two cloves of chopped garlic to a bowl.
- Once the ingredients are combined, add the egg and mix everything together.
- If the mixture is too soft to shape into meatballs, place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Using your hands or an ice cream scoop, form the chilled chicken mixture into meatballs that are about 1 ½ inches in size.
- Arrange the meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce. Add the oil to a skillet and cook the garlic over medium heat until it begins to soften.
- Stir in the wine and chicken broth and reduce the heat to low.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce along with the capers and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Optional Tip! Add up to a tablespoon of flour to the sauce to thicken it
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 362mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g