Change up your granola game with a helping of savory granola. It’s slightly sweet, spicy, nutty, and delicious. Serve it as a snack or sprinkle it on top of yogurt or your favorite salad.
Savory granola has the same basic ingredients as regular granola but it is less sweet. It’s great for those times that you are looking for a quick grab and snack that’s not sweet, is good for you and is easy to make.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017, it’s been updated for content and photos.
- It’s healthy! Made with natural ingredients and a good source or protein.
- It’s easy to make and the perfect grab and go healthy snack.
- Very customizable. It can be made grain-free, gluten-free or nut-free, see the options below.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Rolled oats
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Unrefined coconut oil
- Tamari sauce
- Egg white
- Cayenne pepper
- Fennel seeds
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Baking Sheet
Estimated Time To Make This Recipe: 20 to 30 minutes
How to Make it
Please note that is a summary of steps, refer to the recipe card below for details and ingredient amounts
Place the dry Ingredients into a bowl
Whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl and pour it on top of the dry ingredients
Stir all of the ingredients together
Pile the granola mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet
Spread it out and press it down onto the baking sheet with the back of a wooden spoon
Bake for 25 minutes and allow the granola to cool off which will also help to crisp up the granola.
The best type of oats to use
Rolled oats or quick cooking oats can be used to make granola. My preference is to used rolled oats. They are thicker and tend to hold up better in granola.
The Best natural sweetner for granola
Honey or real maple syrup (not pancake syrup) are the best natural sweeteners for granola. If those are not available you can use an equal amount of agave nectar or brown rice syrup.
Raw nuts vs. toasted nuts
Be sure that the nuts you use to make granola are raw and have not been toasted for best results. Nuts that have already been toasted will lose some of their flavor once they are toasted again in the granola.
You can store granola at room temperature in a covered glass container for up to a month for optimum freshness. I like to use a mason jar for this, but any glass food storage container will work.
You can also freeze granola for up to three months. Place it in an airtight container such as a mason jar or a stasher bag. Allow it to thaw at room temperature before using it.
Change it up
Use any combination of nuts and seeds that you like. Here are some suggestions: macdamia nuts, cashews, pecans, hazlenuts, quinoa, pistachios, peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds.
For a nut-free version use only seeds such as quinoa, chia seeds, pumpkins seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.
For a grain-free version, leave out the oats and add an extra cup of nuts and seeds.
You might also like these healthy snack ideas
- Peanut butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Dark Chocolate Grain Free Granola Bars
- Maple Glazed Cashews
- Homemade Dark Chocolate Bark
Change up your granola game with savory granola. It’s a little bit sweet, spicy, nutty and delicious. Serve it as a snack or sprinkle it on top of your favorite salad.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: approximately 20 1/4 cup servings 1x
- Category: snack
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 2 cups oats, 1 cup almonds, 3 tablespoons chia seeds, 1/2 cup walnut pieces, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds into a bowl.
- Whisk together the 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, 1 tablespoon tamari sauce, 1/2 cup honey and then the egg white. Note: it’s important to add the ingredients in this order so that the heat from the coconut oil will not cook the egg white.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the mixture in the bowl.
- Add the seasonings to the bowl and mix well.
- Spread the granola mixture onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and press down using the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Bake the granola for 15 minutes
- Remove the granola from the oven and press it down again. Let it cool on top of the stove. Once it’s cool enough to handle break the granola.
Change it Up
- Use any combination of nuts and seeds that you like, here are some suggestions: macadamia nuts, cashews, pecans, hazel nuts, quinoa, chia seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds
- For a nut free version use seeds only, such as: quinoa, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds.
Keywords: savory granola, granola vegan, homemade granola
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.