Spicy chicken tacos are made with chicken breasts marinated in a spicy and flavorful El Yucateco Hot Sauce and grilled to perfection. Top them with your favorite toppings for a delicious combination of flavors the whole family will love for your next taco Tuesday.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of El Yucateco, all opinions are my own.
Whether you prefer soft tacos or hard shell tacos with traditional toppings like salsa and guacamole; or you like to mix things up with unique ingredients such as spicy crema, these tacos will be a favorite with the entire family on taco night.
The secret ingredient in these tacos is the sauce! And not just the El Yucateco Coffee and Habanero Hot Sauce; all of the sauces from El Yucateko are amazing! They have just the right balance of flavor and spice and are perfect to have on hand to make a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
I like to use El Yucateco sauces in marinades and sauces because they have so much flavor. All that you need to add is a little bit of citrus or vinegar and you are good to go. Ever since they introduced six new sauces this year, I’ve been using them on all kinds of dishes, from meats to dips or burgers and even eggs.
And while you should try El Yucateco Marisquera Hot Sauces with seafood, as they suggest, you should also try them with eggs. It's one of my favorite combinations!
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- Bold and spicy flavor! This recipe is perfect for those who love spicy food that is packed with flavors.
- Quick and easy! This dinner is made with every day ingredients and can be ready in less than an hour!
- It's customizable. You can add your favorite toppings and sauces or use a different protein; see suggestions below.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Boneless chicken breasts
- El Yucateco Habanero and Coffee Hot Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Olive oil
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Cheese (cotija, cheddar or pepper jack)
- Your favorite taco toppings such as shredded lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, onions
- Grill or grill pan
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
How to make spicy chicken tacos
Prepare: Mix the marinade ingredients (lime juice, El Yucateco Coffee & Habanero Hot Sauce) together. Set aside 2 tablespoons of marinade before adding it to the chicken.
STEP 1: Pour the marinade except for 2 tablespoons over the chicken and marinate for at least one hour.
STEP 2: Heat a grill or grill pan at medium-high heat. Once the grill is hot, reduce to medium heat grill the chicken for about 7 to 10 minutes on each side until it is cooked through and golden brown. Remove it from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes.
STEP 3: In a small bowl, mix the sour cream or yogurt with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce
STEP 4: Use a knife to chop the cooked chicken into small pieces and pour the reserved 2 tablespoons of marinade over the cooked chicken.
STEP 5: Heat the tortillas on the grill or grill pan to warm them up, and top them with the spicy crema and chicken pieces.
Note: Cook time can vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. A meat thermometer ensures it is fully cooked to at least 165 degrees f.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Chicken - I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use boneles skinless chicken thighs.
Hot Sauce - El Yucateco Coffee & Habanero Hot Sauce will make spicy tacos, if you prefer less spicy sauce, try using El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple & Habanero Hot Sauce, which also pairs well with chicken.
How to store leftovers
This is a great recipe to make a double batch of, and it’s easy to store. Simply place the cooked chicken once it's reached room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Leftover chicken tastes great on salads, rice bowls, and sandwiches.
Tropical - Add a tropical twist to these tacos by pureeing ¼ cup of pineapple or mango chunks and adding it to the marinade instead of the lime juice.
Vegetarian - Instead of chicken, marinate cubes of tofu for at least 30 minutes and grill or pan-fry them until golden and crispy on the outside.
Change up the meat - Replace chicken with 1 pound of skirt steak or pork tenderloin.
Seafood - Use 1 pound of mild-tasting seafood such as cod or shrimp.
Taco bowls - Instead of individual tacos, serve the chicken in a bowl with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, avocados, cheese and salsa. Serve a soft flour tortilla on the side.
Burrito bowls - Similar to taco bowls, with the addition of rice and black beans.
- Adding the reserved marinade to the chicken after it has been cooked adds more flavor and heat. It also keeps the chicken moist. You can skip this step for a milder version.
- Resting the chicken before cooking helps to lock in the juices which will keep the chicken moist. Try to let it rest for at least 5 minutes
- Time-saving tip: make these tacos with leftover rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken. Make half or the marinade and combine it with the cooked chicken.
You can use soft flour tortillas, corn tortillas, whole wheat tortillas or lettuce wraps for a low-carb option. You can also use hard taco shells as well.
If you use sturdy tortillas, the tacos should stay fresh, unless you over-fill stuff them, which can cause them to become soggy.
Yes, you can easily make this chicken taco recipe in a skillet. Heat a some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, reduce to medium heat and cook for a few minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees f.
Are you too tired to cook dinner?
If you're feeling uninspired when it's time to cook dinner, this free guide will help you make a quick and healthy dinner with ingredients you have in your kitchen.
You might like these delicious recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- ¾ Pound Boneless chicken breasts
- ⅛ Cup El Yucateco Habanero and Coffee Hot Sauce PLUS 1 tablespoon
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Taco fixings such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions
- 1 Cup Greek yogurt
- 8 Tortillas Taco size
- Combine ⅛ Cup El Yucateco Habanero and Coffee Hot Sauce, 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 Tablespoon Honey,2 Tablespoons Lime Juice in a glass dish.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade and set it aside. Add ¾ Pound Boneless chicken breasts to the marinade and mariate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat. Once the grill is hot, reduce to medium heat and grill the chicken breasts for about 7 to 10 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees. Remove from the grill and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream or yogurt with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce.
- Use a knife to chop the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and pour the reserved 2 tablespoons of marinade over the cooked chicken and toss to coat the chicken pieces.
- Heat the tortillas on the grill or grill pan to warm them up. Top them with the spicy crema and chicken pieces. Add your favorite taco toppings.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out my list of products and tools I use in the kitchen all the time!
Sign Up for Easy Recipes Straight in Your In-Box!