This pasta is creamy and decadent tasting. It’s healthy and it’s a great way to eat your vegetables and pasta in one bowl.
Since it’s been getting colder I’ve been craving pasta, and this is one of my favorite pasta dinners. It can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven for a quick 30 minutes and dinner is on the table.
When it comes to vegetables, I always say more is better. I packed this baked pasta with nutrient dense kale, sun-dried tomatoes and a little bit of turkey sausage. Kale is so hearty, it really holds up well in this dish, and it’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamin K and iron.
Did I mention that this tastes better the longer it sits? Make a double batch and freeze one for later. If kale isn’t for you, you can easily substitute with spinach. For a complete healthy meal serve this with an Arugula Salad.
- 1 4 ounce organic turkey sausage link with casing removed
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1½ cups cooked whole wheat or gluten free shell pasta
- 2 cups packed shredded kale
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour or arrowroot for gluten free
- 1 tablespoon organic butter or olive oil
- ½ cup organic milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese or combination of ¼ cup Parmesan and ¼ cup mozzarella
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- pre-heat oven to 350
- cook the sausage in a skillet over medium heat
- once cooked drain excess fat if any and remove from pan-place in an oven proof casserole along with the cooked pasta, shredded kale and sun-dried tomatotes
- add olive oil and brown the garlic and onion
- stir in the flour and butter or olive oil until it forms a paste
- turn heat to low and gradually stir in the milk constantly stirring until the milk thickens iinto a creamy texture
- add the cheese and stir until all is melted
- pour the sauce over pasta mixture and mix well
- sprinkle with a little bit of cheese if desired cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Glutten Free Option - choose quinoa, brown rice or chick pea pasta
Vegetarian Option - Leave out the sausage
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***
UPDATED September 28, 2016