This is a tasty twist on nachos. They are made with thinly sliced potatoes that have been baked until crisp and topped with Mexican flavored vegetables.
I recently went to a restaurant that had potato nachos listed on their appetizer menu, and I thought what a brilliant idea! Potato slices instead of tortilla chips? Not fried and not processed, I was ready to go with this. . .
Next, I alternated layers of baked potato chips and toppings; added a hint of cheddar and baked them for a few minutes more. These nachos were so good even my skeptical family was asking for more.
The best part about nachos is that the toppings are endless, especially when potatoes are involved. What’s your favorite nacho topping?
- 3 medium sized potatoes sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 cup of black beans
- 1 jalapeno sliced - optional
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ avocado, sliced
- green onions - for garnish
- salsa - for garnish
- preheat oven to 450
- using a food processor or a mandoline slicer slice potatoes
- cover baking sheet(s) with parchment paper and coat it with a thin layer of olive oil
- with a pastry brush brush olive oil on the top of the potatoes
- place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes and turn slices over
- continue to bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes more, checking periodically
- as they begin to turn golden remove them from the oven
- While potatoes are cooking heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet
- add the peppers and onions, cook until they begin to soften
- add the ground cumin and beans mix well and remove from heat
- once potatoes are done, in another baking dish place one layer of potatoes and cover with half of the vegetable mixture
- add another layer of vegetable mixture
- sprinkle on jalapenos if using
- and top with cheddar cheese
- bake 375 oven until cheese melts
- Top with any or all of: organic salsa, green onions, avocado slices and green onions,greek yogurt
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***