Chicken chopped salad is a fresh and colorful salad made with an assortment of fresh ingredients tossed with a homemade lemon vinaigrette. It’s perfect for lunch or a quick and healthy dinner.
What’s not to like about salad for dinner? Salads are filled with healthy ingredients, and there isn’t much cooking involved which is why this chicken chopped salad and Asian Pasta Salad with Chicken are in our easy dinner rotation lists.
- It’s a great way to use up left over food in your fridge.
- Chicken chopped salad is a healthy and easy dinner idea.
- It can be made ahead of time and is very customizable; use any combination of ingredients that you like.
Chicken Chopped Salad Ingredients
You can use as many different ingredients as you like to a chopped salad, the possibilities are endless. I start with a base and build my salad from there. Here is a list of base ingredients followed by the ingredients I used to make this chopped salad recipe.
Lettuce such as romaine, bibb lettuce, field greens
Cucumbers or zucchini
Additional Ingredients used to make this salad
How to Make the Best Chicken Chopped Salad
Prepare the ingredients: chop up the vegetables into bite-sized pieces and add them to a large salad bowl. Drain and rinse the beans and add them to the bowl along with the olives.
Whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl and pour ¼ of the dressing over the salad, toss and sprinkle with cheese. Serve the remainder of the dressing on the side.
Ingredient Notes and Substutions
Instead of chicken, try bite sized pieces of streak, shrimp or salmon.
Garlic can be substituted with ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder.
Make it vegetarian or vegan by adding grilled or roasted tofu in place of the meat, and leave out the cheese for a vegan version.
Add More Vegetables and use any combination of bell peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, shaved brussels sprouts, shredded carrots, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, hot peppers slices.
Add more protein and crunch with a sprinkling of nuts and seeds such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds or walnuts.
Change up the beans with any combination of white beans, chickpeas, black beans or kidney beans.
Chicken chopped salad can be easily prepared ahead of time by chopping the ingredients and store them in the refrigerator in separate containers for up to three days.
To Serve the chopped salad, place the ingredients into a bowl and add a little bit of dressing just before serving, add the cheese, toss and enjoy.
How to store leftover chopped chicken salad
If there is any of this delicious chicken salad leftover, it can be stored in an airtight container for up to a day in the refrigerator with dressing on it. If it is not dressed, it will last for two to three days in the refrigerator.
You Might Also Like these Salad Recipes
- 1 head of lettuce
- ½ head of purple cabbage, chopped or shredded
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped olives
- 8 ounces grilled or shredded chicken breast
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup white beans
- 4 ounces of crumbled or shredded cheese
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- a dash of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Chop all of the ingredients into uniform bite-sized pieces and place them in a large salad bowl
- Drain and rinse the beans, add them to the bowl with the salad ingredients and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together or shake them in a jar and pour ¼ of the dressing over the salad and serve the remaining dressing on the side.
- Swap out the chicken for cooked shrimp or steak
- Make it vegetarian or vegan by adding grilled or roasted tofu in place of the meat, and omit the cheese for a vegan version.
- Add More Vegetables. You can use any of your favorite veggies for this salad, here are some suggestions: bell peppers, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, shaved Brussels sprouts, shredded carrots, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, hot pepper slices.
- Add more protein with any combination of nuts and seeds such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, or walnuts.
- Change up the Beans. The white beans can be substituted with chickpeas, kidney beans or black beans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove (3-Piece Set) - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles
LE TAUCI Pasta Bowls 45 Ounce, Ceramic Salad Bowl, Large Serving Bowl Set - Set of 4, White
AIDEA Wooden Salad Bowl, 12.5Inch Acacia Wood with Salad Spoon and Fork Gift for Thanksgiving Day
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 512mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 9gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.